With bike use comes the need for bike safety. A couple of residents in neighboring Fourth Ward had their bikes stolen from a parking deck bike rack recently. Most bicycle thefts result from unlocked or improperly locked bikes. Following these tips will help prevent your bike from being stolen:
- Never leave your bike unlocked.
- Use a high quality U-lock or very thick chain; for added security use both.
- Lock your bike in a well lighted and highly visible location.
- Lock your wheel and bike frame to a sturdy, firmly anchored object such as a bike rack or post.
- Keep a photograph and the serial number of your bike. Provide these to the police if reporting a stolen bicycle.